Like Being Scared? You’ll Love his Campbelltown Ghost Story

Halloween is only days away and what better way to get you geared up than the most famous Western Sydney Ghost Story!

On the Evening of June 17, 1826, Frederick Fisher, left his Campbelltown home and was never seen again.

On a night almost four months later, a wealthy and respectable Campbelltown farmer, John Farley, stumbled into a local hotel in a state of shock, and claimed he had seen the ghost of Frederick Fisher.

According to Fisher, the ghost had been sitting on the rail of a bridge and had pointed to a paddock down the creek, then faded away.

The body of Fred Fisher was later discovered by police in the paddock where the ghost had pointed…

Many local residents believe the ghost of Fred Fisher haunts the Campbelltown Town Hall.

The legend of Fred Fisher has captured the imagination of generations. The sequence of events leading up to the subsequent trial – the murder of Frederick Fisher, the appearance of his ghost, the arrest of five men and the eventual hanging of one.

Frederick George James Fisher was born on August 28th, 1792. In his twenties, he obtained forged bank notes through his business which he was arrested for in 1815.

By 1822 Fisher has served half his sentence and applied for permission to purchase property. Among other properties, Fred Fisher secured a farm at Campbelltown. His neighbour was a man named William George Worrall, known to be an honest and industrious man.

In 1825 Fred Fisher and a local carpenter, William Brooker, had an argument over money, whereby Fisher pulled a knife. William Brooker was not badly hurt, however Fred Fisher received a light prison sentence. Worried about his property, Fred Fisher gave George Worrell Power of Attorney during his imprisonment. Fisher served his sentence and returned to town a short time later.

On the evening of June 17, 1826, Fred Fisher disappeared. George Worrell announced he had sailed to England because he was concerned about a forgery charge recently made against him. Three weeks later after the disappearance, George Worrall sold Fisher’s horse and personal belongings, claiming Fred Fisher had sold them to him before he left.

Several local townspeople became suspicious and on September 17, 1826, George Worrall was arrested on suspicion of Fred Fisher’s murder.

Worrall claimed he had not murdered Fred Fisher, but that four other men had in fact committed the crime. All four men were arrested.

One month later, October 25, 1826, two young boys were returning home across Fisher’s farm and noticed bloodstains on a fence. On closer investigation, a lock of hair and a tooth was also found.

A local constable searched the area and decided to call in an Indigenous tracker from Liverpool. On testing the water from puddles in the area, the tracker announced that Fisher had been there. Fred Fisher’s remains were found in a shallow grave on George Worrall’s land.

George Worrall went to trial in criminal court on February 2, 1827. He was found guilty and sentenced to death by hanging on February 5, 1827.

On the scaffold, Worrall confessed he had murdered Fred Fisher by mistake, thinking he was a horse in the wheat crop. However, this confession was never believed by the locals. The theory is that George Worrall had assumed that all Fisher’s property belonged to him since he was appointed Fred Fisher’s agent and so On Fisher’s release from prison, George Worrall murdered him to fully obtain his property.

Can’t be bothered reading all that? Listen to Lachie & Lu run-through the spooky story below.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.